Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pisa!


Today we went to Pisa, Italy, which boasts one of the most famous monuments in the world: the leaning tower of Pisa. Most of Pisa's popular attractions are all located within a main plaza, named Piazza di Miracoli. It is said that the piazza is called Piazza dei Miracoli because man can experience the 5 facets of a Catholic exsistance in one place: Birth at the Hospitale Santa Chiara, a Catholic baptism at the baptistry, comunnion, confirmation, marriage, and funeral at the Cathedral of Pisa, and burial (there is also a cemetery located within the piaza). As our tour guide Ricardo said, "If that is not a miracle for the Catholic man, I don't know what is..."We arrived at the bus depot located right next to a McDonald's, yes, you read correctly. We then walked to the Piazza dei Miracoli. On our way to the piazza, walked past all of the vendors and the"Plucci, Plendi, and other famous knock-off" sellers that were outside the city's wall. The Piazza and main portion of the town has one main entrance, as its protective medieval wall still remains intact and in very good condition. The one main entrance serves a good purpose, it builds the anticipation for what is a spectacular introduction to the marvelous and pristine piazza. The cathedral, Santa Maria Assunta, or St. Mary of the Assumption has a beautiful interior. Sixty-eight pillars that adorn the inside were each carved out from one single piece of gray marble on the island of Sardinia. Once completed, they were each sent over to Pisa by boat. The ceiling also has a great wooden carving that is covered in 24 karat gold. The inner dome has a splendid mosaic that depicts Jesus giving his blessing. The cathedral also has the body of its patron saint, St. Ranieri in a glass coffin.The leaning tower is truly a sight to see. It leans 4 meters, a little over 12 feet and has been reinforced to prevent any further leaning. The restoration of the tower has actually reversed the amount of incline that tower once had. The architects are sure that for now, it should stay in place for at least 200 years. For those of you that find themselves wondering, there is absolutely nothing inside the tower except for its marble spiral staircase. It was originally built as a bell tower. The tower is also the most expensive tower to enter in all of Italy, it costs 15 Euro, about 25 USD for the limited amount of time you are given to climb and descend-30 minutes. You also need a reservation to enter and entry is only given to 30 people at a time. As we only had one hour of free time, we did not go up the tower; however, we did admire it from the grounds. We spent the rest of our free time walking throught the vendor's stands.The drive back to Florence from Pisa was a lot better than the drive to Pisa. It was not because of the method of transportation, or the tour guide. It was because we were no longer sitting in front of the 3 ignorant and thoughtless women that talked the whole way to Pisa. They were so loud that it made it difficult to listen to the information that was given by the tour guide. They were so obnoxious and obviously didn't care about the historical facts that were being given. They were deep in conversation among themselves and were making phonecalls during the announcements. At one point Cindy had to tell them to be quiet--cave man style-- index finger to the mouth and index finger to the ear. She had to make sure they understood, as they didn't understand the stares or "shhhs." That aside, they also chewed their gum with their mouths open, ala cows. They supposedly spoke French but were not even listening to the French portion of the announcements. It was funny to see their faces when they were told by the tour guide that we would not be going up the tower! Had they been quiet long enough, they would have heard that part of the announcement and saved themselves from embarassment after demanding their tower tickets! Not sitting near them on the way back to Florence made the Tuscan scenery a lot more enjoyable.

Our day in Pisa was wonderful. The cherry on top was the delicious meal we were able to enjoy back at our apartment. Pox made spaghetti ala arrabiatta and garlic bread--yum. We have to give credit were credit is due!

Special Announcements:

If you're enjoying our blog, please comment, we want to know what you think.
We get excited when we get to read what you're thinking too.

5 comments:

marynoelia said...

Oh my goodness, these pictures are truly beautiful! It looks like Pisa is new; it doesn’t have that weathered look all the other buildings have throughout historic Europe. Don’t get me wrong, I love the old feel most places have, but this place just looks like it’s “fake” you know, what I mean? They must take really good care and pride in that town. It’s true, when you go to Europe, you see cathedral after cathedral, but I must say that the cathedral inside Pisa really stands out with all of it’s beautiful marble, carvings and mosaics…I definitely have to see it in person. I love the fun pics of you and Pox trying to hold up the leaning tower! You should have done the “bump” dance to it a la disco and maybe you could have bumped it into place! I hope you enjoy your day today as lounge lizards in one of the most beautiful places in the world, with all of its art embracing you. Right now it’s 10:30 p.m. our time…you guys are still mimis. We are going to Knotts on Sunday; we really wish you guys were going w/us. Zoe is here with me reading over my shoulder and says that the house just isn’t the same without you two…I guess the rest of us are chopped liver!...until soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves. It sounds like you've met quite a few interesting characters on your trips (i.e. motormouth Tiziana, obnoxious French tourists, etc.). Please don't let them spoil your trip... although, it sounds to me like you guys have it down to a science when it comes to politely asking people to be quiet LOL.

Anyhow, I'm curious about the shopping you guys have done. Any good buys? I keep reading about all the great pantry fillers, but how about some quirky European memorabilia? Ok... maybe having Pablo come back wearing euro-style short-shorts is not necesarrily something we'd like to see, but where's the kitsch?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your trip with us and keep up the good work with the blog. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Pedro

PS. If you've noticed a drop in your comments, it might be because you're competing with the Olympics. They've been rather enthralling as of late.

Poc-Cheeny said...

Just to distract you from Beijing, we're going to start our own olympics, Firenze 2008. It's 60 steps to our apartment, we'll time ourselves. We'll see how fast we can scarf down a margherita pizza in really short shorts. As far as the souvenirs go, it's no fun if we tell you what they are...have fun watching the butchy ladymen running in really crooked chones.

Leyva Family said...

Sorry to hear about the rude ladies in your tour bus, everytime we read about a bad traveling experience, our flight with the crying kids comes to mind. The pictures of Pisa seem like so much fun. Enjoy your "Firenze olympics" your likely to get the Gold ;-)

Anonymous said...

Heelllllooooo, Oh my sweets, I am back to civilization...
First, I would like to thank you both for your wonderful phone massage on my birthday. Truly, up until I got your call, I was feeling flustured, reflecting on my life...you two know what I have been through.. Yet, your call made me realize how blessed I am. I have and pride myself on the wonderful people who surround me. You two are so genuine and oh-so much fun! Thank you so much from the depths of my heart.
Second, I would like to apologize, for both Tiede and I, for not correspoding via your blog. I was at a very lenghty cheer camp and had no access to the world-the internet. By the way, ERHS cheer brought home the spirit stick. GO EAGLES!
I am back now and still trying to catch up on my life, including this amazing blog. So far, I am on day 10-Florence. I have a lot of reading to look forward to-I can't wait!
Third, we, Ralf and I, think your blog is such a great and innovative idea. It is so attracting to read and to view. You two use an array of adjectives. It almost, almost feels like we are there with you two-BUT WE ARE NOT!!!! Your blog definitely makes us want to visit Europe. You guys should be contracted to do PR for Europe.
Keep the Florence coming. Tiede says hello and to hurry home.
You guys are misssed...
Love you both,
Araceli Ruiz de Tiede
Kudos on that:)